CatechismClass.com is at the forefront of providing online religious education to Catholics around the world. Created in 2004, its Episcopal Advisor is Bishop Robert Vasa, and has a stellar list of endorsements, including Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, Archbishop Chaput, Raymond Cardinal Burke, Scott Hahn, and Jason Evert, among others. It is a rock solid program that is true to the Faith. They offer courses ranging from Kindergarten to 12th grade, as well as adult education classes, sacrament prep, RCIA, and various other Catholic education resources. Each course contains multiple lessons with catechism questions, a quiz at the end of each lesson, a link to the saint of the day, and much more.
PRICE AT THE TIME OF REVIEW
$24.99 for the complete 2nd grade course
$1.99 for each individual lesson
- 25 lessons, 15 of which are on the Sacraments
- Online quizzes covering each lesson
- Common Catholic vocabulary included in each lesson
- Link to Saint of the Day in each lesson (updated in real time, so you aren’t required to follow a specific calendar schedule with the program)
- Questions and Answers from the Baltimore Catechism
REASON FOR PRODUCT
CatechismClass.com fills a void for religion classes that are available anywhere, anytime, for all ages. The courses can be accessed from any computer with internet access. Because each course is comprehensive and all-in-one, homeschooling parents are relieved the burden of lesson planning and putting together a grade-appropriate curriculum – they simply read through a lesson a week on CatechismClass.com, have their child take the quizzes, and discuss the material with them.
- Supported and endorsed by many U.S. Bishops, Faith Formation Directors, Diocesan DREs, theologians, and has received the support of Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI.
- All CatechismClass.com staff sign an Oath of Fidelity pledging their allegiance to the Church and Her teachings.
- No prep work for the parent, and student can work independently on each lesson (this is great for large homeschooling families!)
- 100% faithful to Church teaching, so there are no worries about what your student is learning when working independently
- Concepts are not watered-down, but are engaging and age-appropriate for the student
- Budget Friendly (especially if you purchase the entire grade level at once)
- Beautiful religious artwork instead of cartoonish pictures
- Inclusion of the Baltimore Catechism questions and answers
- There are more lessons on the Sacraments of Eucharist and Confession than other Sacraments, which is very appropriate for the Second Grade year
- Online-only format can be a downside for those who do not want their children having a lot of screen time or who have limited internet access
- Links to other sites such as Youtube may give parents concerns about internet safety
- Links did not always work
- “The Second Grade program is well-done. I love the beautiful artwork and the inclusion of the passages from the Baltimore Catechism. I know my child is being exposed to the best of Catholic tradition. With some other programs, I have to be concerned with the degree of fidelity to Church teaching and whether the lessons are going into enough depth as opposed to being ‘fluff’ – but not with this one. My second grade daughter can work on her religion lesson while I give attention to the younger kids. And best of all, she enjoys this program and the independence it brings.” – Mary
- Share your experience in the comments
DETAILS AT A GLANCE
Intended for: homeschooling families, public school families who want to use in place of CCD/parish RE, parish religious education programs looking for something new
Good for grades: all
Parent/teacher involvement level: low to moderate
Prep time: almost none Teacher’s manual: none needed
Educational philosophy: scholastic model
DISCLOSURE AND ACCURACY OF REVIEW
Catholic Sistas was not paid to do this review – the publisher offered free materials in exchange for an honest review of this product. All reviews are current as of the publish date. If you notice that a review contains information that is no longer accurate, please email us at Homeschool@CatholicSistas.com and we will be happy to amend this review.