As parents, we are always looking for extra support in rearing our children as people of God. I have collected a few quotes and would like to share those that always help me:
“This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” Matthew 3:17
I say this to my children often. I want them to know that I love them with the unconditional, undying love of a parent—the love the Father showed to His own Son, Jesus.
“ ‘Woman, why do you involve me?’ Jesus replied. ‘My hour has not yet come.’ His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.’” John 2:4-5
I love this one because it shows Jesus as obedient to His mother. He is reluctant, but she is so confident in Him and she truly believes in Him. He respects His mother and her knowledge of Him. I see this as a very intimate conversation between mother and son.
- “When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to her, ‘Woman,here is your son,’and to the disciple, ‘Here is your mother.’ From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.” John 19:26-27
Children have always felt a responsibility to their parents. Jesus shows just how important His mother was to him. He makes sure she is taken care of in His absence. Christ reveres his mother, just as we should.
- “He replied, ‘My mother and brothers are those who hear God’s word and put it into practice.’” Luke 8:21
Mary was the first and greatest believer in Jesus. She is loyal and faithful to her Son and His Father, and He knew it. Family can always be relied upon for support, especially one’s mother.
- “This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!” Mark 9:7
Again, this is another expression of confidence and love that the Father shows to Jesus. This is another favorite since I say it to my kids; it shows my support and trust in them.
- “Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.” Luke 2: 51-52
Jesus was the perfect son. He was lost to his mother; then He is found and she then watches Him become who He is meant to be. His mother dotes on him and treasures memories of Him as a child.
- “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like. They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete.” Luke 6:46-49
This particular quote illustrates just how important it is that we, as parents, give our children the structure and foundation necessary to ensure they become people of God. Without it, we lie in ruins. It also depicts the importance of obedience to God.
These are a few quotes that may parallel our experiences as parents. God the Father and the Blessed Mother are the epitome of love and guidance. To emulate them is to show true obedience to God. God demonstrates to us how to become parents who love and support.
Charla is a life-long Catholic, married since 1995. She has three children who attend Catholic school and university. Charla has been teaching high school English literature at the same Catholic high school she attended for over 15 years. She has Bachelor of Arts degrees in English, Latin American Studies, and Secondary Education, as well as a Masters degree in Education. Charla has served as a lector and Eucharistic minister at her parish and school. She enjoys reading, cooking, running, and all activities involving her children. Her special devotions are to the Blessed Mother, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Catherine of Alexandria, and the Holy Rosary.